January 25, 2009

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BABY-KO

As I've mentioned in previous posts, Baby-Ko, who is now 16 months old, is ob-SESSED with lights. I don't even know when or how it started but he loves to turn them off and on. I partially blame myself, T-Ko and all of his grandparents for enabling this somewhat annoying, 
Rain-Man-esque fascination. We are obviously the ones lifting him up to turn these switches on and off, and if we had just said "no" months ago, we might not have to ask restaurant managers if we can play with their chandeliers when Baby-Ko starts to meltdown. (Okay, it's not that bad, but trust me. I have come very close to asking them). 

But yesterday, it occurred to me that if  I lived in a house where light switches were easily accessible to miniature people like Baby-Ko, his obsession wouldn't seem so annoying.... which is why living down in a retirement community, with my Nana and her other elderly friends, seems like the perfect place to live with a toddler. The light switches are lower, the bath tubs have rubber slip mats, there are no curbs on the sidewalks, and everyone eats dinner at 5:30. Watching Baby-Ko roam free in the unintentionally baby-proofed house, I noticed how less frustrated he was. It was as if he had gained some independence without us having to acquiesce and give in to his every demand.


I'm not sure if it was the low lights or her delicious chocolate "chippies" that has Baby-Ko Button now hooked, but I can tell you it won't be long until we are visiting Leisure World again soon...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa! My toddler is obsessed with lights too... I've been thinking it's a weird thing, but after reading your post, I'm pleasantly happy that maybe... just maybe... it's a normal thing!

You just never know, do you? :)