December 25, 2010

12 DAYS OF MOMMY: TRICIA'S RED BEANS, AND RICE


Day 6

When Jonah's nanny Tricia (AKA the Jonah whisperer and my savior) first started working with us (6 plus months ago), I told her that I had only a few staples that I knew how to cook and could whip up easily. Of course, there's only so much turkey meatloaf, pasta and lemon chicken a child can take...

Anyway Tricia, who is originally from Grenada, told me that she had a few recipes of her own that Jonah would probably like.

One of the recipes she told me about was her family's recipe for Red Beans and Rice.... Well, after months of Tricia's recipe pinned to my bulletin board, I decided yesterday would be a perfect opportunity to make it. After all, in addition to sauteed onions, sizzling bacon and of course love, nothing makes a recipe better than a 3-year olds sneezes and coughs!

It turned out delish. Here's the recipe. Note the coconut milk! YUM.


Tricia's Red Beans & Rice

4oz Bacon (About 6 slices), Chopped
1 Large Onion chopped
4 Garlic cloves minced
1 -28oz can of Diced Tomatoes, Drained
1 Bunch Fresh Cilantro, Finely chopped
3 cups Long-Grain Rice
2 -14oz Cans of Coconut Milk
1 cup Water
4 tbsp Salt
2 -15.5 oz cans of Red Kidney Beans, Drained

Brown bacon for approx. 3 min. Add onions and garlic. Saute for 5 more min. Then add drained tomatoes, kidney beans, cilantro, rice and salt. Mix gently until well blended. Add coconut milk, water and mix again. Bring to a boil and cover. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for 35-40 min, or until rice is tender.

HOPE EVERYONE'S HAVING A DELICIOUS HOLIDAY!



3 comments:

Rita Templeton said...

Oh YUM! That sounds delicious. I'm not a huge fan of beans, but the coconut milk cinched it for me. I will eat virtually ANYTHING containing coconut milk!

Anonymous said...

We had alot of fun cooking together..... I must make one adjustment less salt than was stated in the recipe I would say about 1tbsp other than that it was great.....

Anonymous said...

Oh by the way this came about with alot of trial and error and references to alot of other recipies but the coconut milk is definitely carribbean ..... Tricia enjoy