December 18, 2010

HO, HO, HO: 12 DAYS OF MOMMY

This past week I felt like I was back in college, prepping and cramming at the last minute for finals and term papers. (Sure, one might ask what kind of papers and finals are given when you're majoring in Theater/Acting, but trust me-- It wasn't all cigarettes and jazz hands). Anyway, these past few weeks (entire year, really) have felt like I've been on a spin cycle. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: right now, life is challenging. In. every. way.

Take this picture for example. This is of me trying to get ready for work in the morning and Jonah ready for school. In order to do that, ("that" being trying to pull an elephant out of a worm's asshole), I had to pretend that I was going to leave the house wearing J's clothes and use his shopping cart as my purse.... in order to get him to laugh... in order to get him to relax... in order for me to get ready .... in order for us to JUST get of the door....

(BTW, you can't see it, but my left arm is in his robe).

There are two things these days that I'm missing very much and wishing I could have/ do more of:
-Time with my son. Truly unfettered, slowed down and not rushed time.
-Blogging. I read others blogs all day long. I want to write more on mine. And I don't want to have to think too much about what I write. I just want to post.

So, in an effort to do/have both, I'm taking the next two weeks off of work work, to some home work. Literally.

I've declared now through the end of the year as: The 12 Days of Mommy.

Every day, I'm going to do something different with my son. Whether it's just a long walk to the library, making sugar cookies, or taking him to see a movie in the theater for the first time, I want to spend time creating memories and give him some of the undivided attention that I think he's craving right now....

On the blogging side, I'm going to post about our experiences..... However, I should clarify that a 12 Days of Mommy post may not always be about a Mommy/son day or moment. Oh, no.

A day of Mommy post might be about just ME... working out, hanging pictures, or watching my new favorite show (where has Celebrity Rehab been all my life?!) After all, *I* am Mommy and oh, do I need a day....

Who knows, I might even decide to actually leave the house using a farm house as my purse... And do a Jazz Hand on my way out. The possibilities are endless. Let the fun begin....


9 comments:

kim {the non-mom blogger} said...

Good! I want you to write more, too.

Celebrity Rehab? That is some good shit, right? The fact that Janice Dickinson, of all people, has been a voice of reason for the first few episodes speaks to the level of dysfunction in the Pasadena Recovery Center. All kinds of awesomeness.

Rita Templeton said...

Ho-ho-hooray! (Okay, that was cheesy on like more than one level.) Anyway, I think your 12 Days of Mommy is a fantastic idea. Finding joy where I can - even if it's a few stolen moments a day - is what keeps me sane!

... All right, semi-sane. :)

Unknown said...

Brilliant idea. We should all find our 12 days of something good and kind and helpful to embark on! I look forward to seeing your days...

My Bottle's Up! said...

DUDE!!!!!!! i'm doing the ::happy dance:: for you right now. good juju and peaceful writing to you. this will be good. very very good.

ps- who takes your pictures?!?! b/c they're awesome and candid and fantastic.

My Bottle's Up! said...

DUDE!!!!!!! i'm doing the ::happy dance:: for you right now. good juju and peaceful writing to you. this will be good. very very good.

ps- who takes your pictures?!?! b/c they're awesome and candid and fantastic.

Miriam Leigh said...

I love this idea. We all dream about changing our lives in such big ways, but there is something so much more manageable about doing it in a 12-day chunk. It seems so do-able! You go girl!

Truthful Mommy said...

I love it! I've gotten so swept up in all the chaos of this time of year that I feel like I am not spending enough time wit my girls.Sometimes we've got to make a solid choice to slow down.SO in a show of solidarity I am taking the rest of the year to just be "MOMMY" to my girls; to enjoy them, to enjoy life.Good for you!Hope you and Jonah have a blast!!!

http://motherhoodthetruth.blogspot.com

Alli B-C said...

Wish I could get in on the fun with you!!

Sarah, The Ohana Mama said...

I love this! Can I steal this idea? You need a meme :)

Every singe word - other than me getting out of my house, since I work at home and stay in PJs far too long into the day- rings true for me.

thanks for the kick in the ass :)